Re: " Adding missing FROM-clause entry for table .... " problem.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tomasz Myrta <jasiek(at)klaster(dot)net>
Cc: Christoph Haller <ch(at)rodos(dot)fzk(dot)de>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: " Adding missing FROM-clause entry for table .... " problem.
Date: 2003-02-18 15:40:10
Lists: pgsql-sql

Tomasz Myrta <jasiek(at)klaster(dot)net> writes:
> Christoph Haller wrote:
>> is not valid SQL syntax. What will actually happen (this is a PostgreSQL
>> extension to the standard) is that an implicit table
>> reference is added to the FROM clause, so the query is processed as if
>> it were written as

> I think this extension should be removed.

I don't think it's likely to get removed any time soon.
Maybe a workable compromise would be to add a GUC parameter
"allow_implicit_from", with options "ok" (completely permissive),
"notice" (the current behavior), and "error" (disallow it).

But we'd have to do something about the DELETE syntax before the
"error" setting would be real useful.