Re: Switching roles as an replacement of connection pooling tools

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: CN <cnliou9(at)fastmail(dot)fm>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Switching roles as an replacement of connection pooling tools
Date: 2016-05-31 14:48:46
Lists: pgsql-general

"David G. Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Is there a reason something "SET ROLE ... WITH SETTINGS" couldn't be
> implemented?

Unless there's something underlying that proposal that I'm not seeing,
it only deals with one of the problems in this area. The security-
related issues remain unsolved.

AFAICS there's a pretty fundamental tension here around the question
of how hard it is to revert to the original role. If it's not possible
to do that then a connection pooler can't serially reuse a connection for
different users, which largely defeats the point. If it is possible, how
do you keep that from being a security hole, ie one of the pool users can
gain privileges of another one?

(And, btw, I repeat that all of this has been discussed before on our
lists.)