Re: Opinion poll: Sending an automated email to a thread when it gets added to the commitfest

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
To: Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>, Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Opinion poll: Sending an automated email to a thread when it gets added to the commitfest
Date: 2024-08-15 13:33:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 15.08.24 09:59, Jelte Fennema-Nio wrote:
> I realized a 5th thing that I would want in the email and cf entry page
>
> 5. A copy-pastable set of git command that checks out the patch by
> downloading it from the cfbot repo like this:
>
> git config branch.cf/5107.remote
> https://github.com/postgresql-cfbot/postgresql.git
> git config branch.cf/5107.merge refs/heads/cf/5107
> git checkout -b cf/5107
> git pull

Maybe this kind of thing should rather be on the linked-to web page, not
in every email.

But a more serious concern here is that the patches created by the cfbot
are not canonical. There are various heuristics when they get applied.
I would prefer that people work with the actual patches sent by email,
at least unless they know exactly what they are doing. We don't want to
create parallel worlds of patches that are like 90% similar but not
really identical.