Re: BUG #17421: Core dump in ECPGdo() when calling PostgreSQL API from 32-bit client for RHEL8

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: hirose(dot)masay-01(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #17421: Core dump in ECPGdo() when calling PostgreSQL API from 32-bit client for RHEL8
Date: 2022-02-27 16:30:58
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> writes:
> Hm. Could you isolate that in a self-contained test case? Based on
> this trace, it looks like "message" is NULL, which may be possible
> because pqInternalNotice() missed something? I would not bet on
> errorMessage being NULL, but there may be holes..

Yeah. It seems likely that this is a longstanding ecpglib bug
that was previously masked by platform snprintfs not crashing
on printf("%s", NULL). If so, it's masked again in 12.8 and
later (cf 3779ac62d), but it's still a bug in that ecpg won't
print anything useful when this edge condition --- whatever it
is --- happens. So, could we see a test case?