Re: Replication

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "Tatsuo Ishii" <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>, barry(at)e-rm(dot)co(dot)uk, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Replication
Date: 2005-09-13 15:39:57
Lists: pgsql-general

>> From: Tatsuo Ishii [mailto:t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp]
>> I thought there are some issues of log based replication (I don't
>> remeber details though). Have they been resolved recently?

> Yes, currently log-file based replication is not recommended when the
> transaction rate is either low or extremely variable.

The point being not that it doesn't work, but that it can take a long
time (or an unpredictable amount of time) for transactions to propagate
to the slave machine. You can kluge up a solution for this, ie, write a
cron job to copy the latest WAL segment file across to the slave once
a minute (or whatever your requirement for propagation delay is). But
we haven't gotten a standard solution into the code itself yet.