Re: Commutation of array SOME/ANY and ALL operators

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Matthew Morrissette Vance <yinzara(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Commutation of array SOME/ANY and ALL operators
Date: 2024-10-24 01:57:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Matthew Morrissette Vance <yinzara(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> If instead, PostgreSQL could support the commutation of the `SOME/ANY` and
> `ALL` operators so that the `ANY(array)` could be on both sides of the
> provided operator, it would allow for this kind of searching natively.

> Firstly, would a PR that enhanced PostgreSQL in this manner be accepted?

My gut feeling is you'll run into insurmountable grammar-ambiguity
problems. I might be wrong, but I have an idea that this has
already been tried and failed on that point.

Inventing commutator operators for LIKE etc could be a path of
much less resistance (unless the operator names get bikeshedded
to death). Are there really that many that people need?
A quick query of pg_operator suggests that the LIKE/regex family
is the bulk of the problem for real-world cases.