Re: Clearing rows periodically

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Martin Foster <martin(at)ethereal-realms(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Clearing rows periodically
Date: 2003-07-18 13:31:07
Lists: pgsql-performance

Martin Foster <martin(at)ethereal-realms(dot)org> writes:
> My question is, should the purging of rows be done more often then once
> a day for both tables. Is this why performance seems to take a hit
> specifically?

Given that the hourly purge seems to work well for you, I'd suggest
trying it on both tables.

Non-FULL vacuum is intended to be run *frequently*, say as often as
you've updated or deleted 10% to 50% of the rows in a table. Delaying
it until you've had multiple complete turnovers of the table contents
will cost you.

> As there were too many rows purged for vacuum to
> accurately keep track of?

Only possible if you don't have the FSM parameters set high enough.
Infrequent vacuuming means you need more FSM space, btw.