Re: postgresql locks the whole table!

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql locks the whole table!
Date: 2003-12-07 19:13:32
Lists: pgsql-general

> Greg Stark wrote:
>> This gets the right semantics but without the debugging info of a list of
>> lockers. Other than debugging the only advantage I see to having the list of
>> lockers is for deadlock detection. Is that absolutely mandatory?

No, deadlock detection is not optional.

Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com> writes:
> What happens if a backend is killed and never decrements its reference
> count?

Even if it's not killed, how does it know to decrement the reference
count? You still need a list of all locked tuples *somewhere*. Perhaps
a technique like this would allow the list to not be in shared memory,
which is helpful, but it's far from an ideal solution.