Re: pgsql: Further dtrace adjustments for the backend-IDs-in-relpath patch.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Further dtrace adjustments for the backend-IDs-in-relpath patch.
Date: 2010-08-15 18:14:58
Lists: pgsql-committers

> On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 12:35 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Hrm, this doesn't look right at all.

> Aargh. I thought I had checked this pretty carefully before
> committing that last patch.

No, sorry, my mistake: I assumed your first commit hadn't touched the
probes at all, which I now see wasn't true. It does appear to be
consistent now.

> buffer-flush-start and buffer-flush-done are documented as only
> getting called for shared buffers, so there is no point in passing a
> backend ID that will always be -1. buffer-write-dirty-start and
> buffer-write-dirty-done are not documented as applying only to shared
> buffers, but I believe it to be the case: they are called from
> BufferAlloc, which appears to be shared-buffers-only code.

I wonder though whether we should take the opportunity to generalize the
probe definitions so that they would work for local buffers. But maybe
nobody really cares.