Re: Re: [Fwd: PGBuildfarm member narwhal Branch HEAD Status changed from OK to Make failure]

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: [Fwd: PGBuildfarm member narwhal Branch HEAD Status changed from OK to Make failure]
Date: 2007-11-16 02:59:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Since we are waiting anyway, something I brought up to Dave about this
> exact problem was the idea of a "freeze" :). E.g; All animals must go
> green and stay green with zero additional commits for 24 hours before
> we wrap.

> Is that something that sounds reasonable?

Sounds like a good way to waste a day. Even more likely, people would
hold off fixing problems till after a beta, because it would reset the
counter; and then commit the changes later, guaranteeing that they'd get
*less* testing.

That's not even mentioning the problem that animals fail on a near-daily
basis for reasons beyond our control.

I'm not in favor of arbitrary rules. The buildfarm is a tool to serve
us, not vice versa.