Re: Mapping view columns to their source columns

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Matt Andrews <mattandrews(at)massey(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Mapping view columns to their source columns
Date: 2019-09-25 14:39:18
Lists: pgsql-general

Matt Andrews <mattandrews(at)massey(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> Incidentally, I have become interested in the pg_node_tree type. I can't
> find much info on it. Would that be in the source? What would be the first
> steps for writing an extension for this sort of thing?

pg_node_tree is just a serialization of the tree-of-Node-structs
representation used inside the server. See
src/include/nodes/primnodes.h and adjacent files for Node definitions.
The actual serialization code is in src/backend/nodes/outfuncs.c
and adjacent files.

(Beware, however, that there's proposals floating around to change
the serialization format.)