Re: Does NUMERIC lose precision?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kaiting Chen <ktchen14(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Does NUMERIC lose precision?
Date: 2017-05-29 21:24:10
Lists: pgsql-general

Kaiting Chen <ktchen14(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Hi everyone. I’m trying to perform some exact precision arithmetic with PostgreSQL’s NUMERIC type. However I can’t seem to get the unparameterized NUMERIC type to perform exact precision arithmetic:

Division is inherently inexact, except in special cases. If you think
that 1/(2^64) should be carried out to enough digits to be exact,
what would you have us do with 1/3?

The actual behavior is that it will choose a result scale (number of
digits after the decimal point) that is dependent on the scales of the
input arguments, but not on their precise values. I don't recall the
details beyond that.