Re: Authentication problem

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dmitry Morozovsky <marck(at)rinet(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Authentication problem
Date: 2002-03-06 16:27:12
Lists: pgsql-admin

Dmitry Morozovsky <marck(at)rinet(dot)ru> writes:
> There is no "fall-through" or "backup": if one record is chosen
> and the authentication fails, the following records are not
> considered.

> Are there any plans to loose this restriction?

No. I don't believe we could count on clients to respond to multiple
authentication challenges of different types.

> It would be very useful to use e.g.

> local all ident admin
> local sameuser ident sameuser
> local all password passwd.user

The "sameuser" part of this works now, since sameuser is a record
matching constraint, not an authentication test.

There has been some talk of adding a more flexible username-matching
field to pg_hba (whereupon the file name would be inappropriate ;-))
but no one's really done any work on it.