Re: compute_query_id and pg_stat_statements

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: compute_query_id and pg_stat_statements
Date: 2021-04-26 18:21:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I think that's the right direction. I wonder though if we shouldn't go a
> bit further. Have one guc that determines the "query id provider" (NULL
> or a shared library), and one GUC that configures whether query-id is
> computed (never, on-demand/auto, always). For the provider GUC load the
> .so and look up a function with some well known name.

That's sounding like a pretty sane design, actually. Not sure about
the shared-library-name-with-fixed-function-name detail, but certainly
it seems to be useful to separate "I need a query-id" from the details
of the ID calculation.

Rather than a GUC per se for the ID provider, maybe we could have a
function hook that defaults to pointing at the in-core computation,
and then a module wanting to override that just gets into the hook.