Re: ORDER BY regtype

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ORDER BY regtype
Date: 2003-10-27 06:39:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> Is there _any_ way of sorting by a regproc as it appears, not as its
> underlying OID?

Can't think of one. If we supported casting regproc to text then I'd
expect ordering by the regproc-casted-to-text to do what you want.
But we don't.

There have been some questions in the past about why we don't support
casting *every* datatype to and from text (using the datatype's input
and output functions if necessary). I'm on record as not favoring
allowing such conversions to happen implicitly, but I can't see any
good reason not to allow them as explicit casts...