Re: race condition in pg_class

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: Alexander Lakhin <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: race condition in pg_class
Date: 2024-07-28 16:59:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com> writes:
> On Sun, Jul 28, 2024 at 11:50:33AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Is it time to worry yet? If this were HEAD only, I'd not be too
>> concerned; but two of these three are on allegedly-stable branches.
>> And we have releases coming up fast.

> I don't know; neither decision feels terrible to me.

Yeah, same here. Obviously, it'd be better to spend effort on getting
the bug fix committed than to spend effort on some cosmetic
workaround.

The fact that the failure is in the isolation tests not the core
regression tests reduces my level of concern somewhat about shipping
it this way. I think that packagers typically run the core tests
not check-world during package verification, so they won't hit this.