Re: reload postgresql with invalid pg_hba.conf

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: jotpe <jotpe(at)posteo(dot)de>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: reload postgresql with invalid pg_hba.conf
Date: 2017-09-18 21:58:32
Lists: pgsql-general

"David G. Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 12:36 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> I wouldn't say it's desired behavior, exactly, but there's no very
>> good way to improve it. pg_ctl has no visibility into what the postmaster
>> is thinking.

> The function signature (and docs) for pg_reload_conf makes the OPs
> interpretation understandable.

Yeah. After more thought, it occurs to me that now that we did f13ea95f9,
we could improve matters by extending that concept: the postmaster could
record its last reload time in postmaster.pid along with a success/failure
flag, and pg_ctl could watch that file to detect what happened.

(No, I'm not volunteering to write the patch.)