Re: [HACKERS] Open 6.5 items

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Open 6.5 items
Date: 1999-05-27 17:44:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:
> crypt_loadpwdfile() is mixing and (mis)matching memory allocation
> protocols, trying to use pfree() to release pwd_cache vector from realloc()

Didn't this just get fixed?

> Fix function pointer calls to take Datum args for char and int2 args(ecgs)

This still needs to be done, and it looks like a lot of tedious
gruntwork :-(. Do we have a volunteer?

I think we still have some unresolved issues about locking and about
handling of multi-segment tables. Shouldn't those be on the TODO list?
If they were fixed to everyone's satisfaction, it wasn't apparent from
the list traffic...

I am currently trying to investigate the poor performance reported by
Edmund Mergl --- since gprof doesn't really work on my Linux box, I
am reduced to running a profilable postmaster on my HPUX box with the
database area NFS-mounted from the Linux box, where there is enough disk
space for the benchmark. This setup gives new meaning to the term
"slow", but I should be able to get a useful profile out of it. If that
turns up anything significant and readily fixable, I might propose
delaying 6.5 for a fix.