Re: Help tuning postgres

From: "Markus Wollny" <Markus(dot)Wollny(at)computec(dot)de>
To: "Csaba Nagy" <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>, <newz(at)bearfruit(dot)org>
Cc: "postgres performance list" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Help tuning postgres
Date: 2005-10-13 10:24:31
Lists: pgsql-performance

pgsql-performance-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org wrote:

> Next we'll upgrade the postgres hardware, and then I'll come
> back to report if it's working better... sorry for the noise for now.

There have been some discussions about which hardware suits PostgreSQL's
needs best under certain load-characteristics. We have experienced quite
a write-performance burst just from switching from a RAID5-config to a
RAID10 (mirroring&striping), even though we had been using some
supposedly sufficiently powerful dedicated battery-backuped
SCSI-RAID-adapters with lots of on-board cache. You can't beat simple,
although it will cost disk-space. Anyway, you might want to search the
archives for discussion on RAID-configurations.