Re: Upgrade 10.5->10.6 : db crash BUS ERROR (sig 10), reproducible

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Peter <pmc(at)citylink(dot)dinoex(dot)sub(dot)org>, Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql(at)FreeBSD(dot)org
Subject: Re: Upgrade 10.5->10.6 : db crash BUS ERROR (sig 10), reproducible
Date: 2019-03-08 19:13:25
Lists: pgsql-admin

> On 2019-Mar-08, Peter wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 08, 2019 at 02:35:33AM +0000, Andrew Gierth wrote:
>>> ! I'm pretty sure nothing in our buildfarm is i386 without SSE2 though.

>> *laugh* no problem with that. There probably wouldn't be any reason
>> to have such.

> Actually there *is* a very good reason to have one, which is that we
> would have discovered this bug right away. (Just ask Tom Lane for a
> tally of bugs that have been discovered due to his old HPUX 10.20
> dinosaur he keeps running just for that purpose). It seems difficult to
> grab hold of such hardware, however. I don't suppose you have many
> spare cycles on that machine of yours to run a buildfarm animal?

IIUC, this bug isn't actually down to the old hardware: any SSE-capable
chip ought to exhibit the same problem. The bug is in the toolchain
somewhere, in that some compiler or run-time infrastructure is failing
to maintain 16-byte stack alignment as required by the ABI. Or,
possibly, there is disagreement among relevant toolchain elements as
to exactly what ABI they're using.