Re: Mysql to postgres

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Theo Galanakis <Theo(dot)Galanakis(at)lonelyplanet(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Mysql to postgres
Date: 2005-04-11 07:02:01
Lists: pgsql-admin

Theo Galanakis <Theo(dot)Galanakis(at)lonelyplanet(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> There may be a way to change the database in postgres to be case
> insensitive. i.e. change some of the operations such as "text=text" to be
> case insensitive. Does this sound Insane?

I think it would be exceedingly unwise to muck with the standard
behavior of a commonly used datatype. What some other people have
done is to invent a variant datatype "citext" that shares most of the
same operations as "text", but has case-insensitive comparisons.
Then you only need to hack your table definitions, not your application
code.

http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/citext/projdisplay.php

I think you could probably also do it by building a locale whose
comparisons are case-insensitive, but I don't know enough about
locales to be sure.