Re: PANIC: could not open critical system index 2662

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: C GG <cgg0007(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PANIC: could not open critical system index 2662
Date: 2018-08-04 15:13:31
Lists: pgsql-general

C GG <cgg0007(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> When trying to restart the PostgreSQL 9.2 database for our JIRA
> installation, we're getting
> "PANIC: could not open critical system index 2662" ... I've tried various
> things like turning on zero_damaged_pages but postmaster still crashes on
> connect when attempting to pg_dump.

2662 is pg_class_oid_index :-(

Try starting a single-user backend with the ignore-system-indexes flag,
and doing "REINDEX INDEX pg_class_oid_index". If that works, I'd try
reindexing the rest of the system just to see how bad things are.

If that doesn't work, it's time to hire professional help --- there are
several companies that specialize in PG data recovery.