Re: sh -> pl

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: sh -> pl
Date: 2008-06-17 15:41:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> David Fetter wrote:
>> This is 2008, and it's silly to pretend we need to support this
>> "requirement" on systems where people are building Postgres.

> Maybe, or maybe not. Do these platforms all have Perl?

In this connection it might be worth pointing to the Red Hat/Fedora
definition of the standard minimum build environment:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Exceptions
which I can assure you is no spur-of-the-moment list but was
very carefully chosen.

It has awk, and sed ... but not perl.