Re: [INTERFACES] pgaccess startup

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jim(dot)Lemon(at)uts(dot)EDU(dot)AU
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] pgaccess startup
Date: 1999-07-05 23:57:52
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Jim Lemon <Jim(dot)Lemon(at)uts(dot)EDU(dot)AU> writes:
> Error connecting database
> Connection to database failed
> connectDB() failed: Is the
> postmaster running and
> accepting TCP/IP (with -i)
> connections at 'localhost' on
> post '5432'?

> This error message changes slightly (and appropriately) when I change
> the host to 'tobermory' (which is the host name). Unfortunately, I do
> not know what the port number of the postmaster is, nor do I know how to
> find this out.

The default installation uses 5432 as the port number --- if you had
changed that when you installed, you'd probably know it. My guess is
you didn't start the postmaster with the "-i" command line switch,
so it's not listening for a TCP connection, only Unix socket
connections.

psql will default to trying to connect via a Unix socket, so it'll
still work without -i, but I believe pgaccess always tries TCP/IP
connections, so it won't. Certainly the above error message indicates
that a TCP/IP connection is being attempted.

There has been some talk of making -i the default postmaster behavior,
but for now it's not.

regards, tom lane