Re: Clang function pointer type warnings in v14, v15

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Clang function pointer type warnings in v14, v15
Date: 2024-07-12 02:26:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Sat, Jul 6, 2024 at 2:35 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> I see that there are a boatload of related warnings in older
>> branches too; do we want to try to do anything about that? (I doubt
>> code changes would be in-scope, but maybe adding a -Wno-foo switch
>> to the build flags would be appropriate.)

> I don't see any on clang 16 in the 12 and 13 branches. Where are you
> seeing them?

In the buildfarm. "adder" and a bunch of other machines are throwing
-Wcast-function-type in about two dozen places in v13, and "jay" is
emitting several hundred -Wdeprecated-non-prototype warnings.

> Has anyone thought about the -Wclobbered warnings from eg tamandua?

I decided long ago that gcc's algorithm for emitting that warning
has no detectable connection to real problems. Maybe it's worth
silencing them on general principles, but I've seen no sign that
it would actually fix any bugs.