Re: wrong search_path being used

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)mail(dot)com>, Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas <rr(dot)rosas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: wrong search_path being used
Date: 2013-01-12 20:13:51
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> On 2013-01-12 14:29:38 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I think that the alternative most likely to succeed is to consider any
>> change in the active value of search_path as forcing replanning of
>> cached plans.

> I guess it wouldn't really be feasible to keep the search path used to
> plan a query in its cached form and check that it fits the one currently
> used on every use of the cached plan?

Actually that's exactly what I meant: every time we arrive at a query
with a cached plan, check to see if the active search_path value is the
same as what it was when we made the cached plan, and replan if not.

There's already infrastructure to save the search_path value for a plan,
but what it's being used for right now is to restore the first-plan-time
value of the path when a replan is forced for some other reason. It
wouldn't be that hard to change it around to use it this way instead.