Re: Limitations on 7.0.3?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: ARTEAGA Jose <Jose(dot)Arteaga(at)alcatel-lucent(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Limitations on 7.0.3?
Date: 2007-07-17 14:07:18
Lists: pgsql-general

Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com> writes:
> I think tag_hash (in /backend/utils/hash/hashfn.c) is responsible for
> internal hash-tables (rather than hash indexes). It takes a pointer to a
> key to hash and a keysize (in bytes), so either the pointer is bad or
> the size is too long and it's reading off the end.

Those stack traces hardly seem credible --- the key being hashed is a
local variable in BufferAlloc, so the pointer can't really be bad,
and the length apparently is 12 as it should be. I was wondering if
maybe the hashp->hash function pointer got corrupted, but that seems
unlikely too seeing that it's part of a struct that never changes.

> If it's not a hardware related problem, then it's a bug, but you're
> unlikely to get a fix given how old the code is.

If you can reproduce the problem in something reasonably recent, we'd be
interested in taking a look. Nobody is going to spend any time on 7.0.x
though. It *will* eat your data someday ... you need to put more time
into getting off it and less into studying its bugs.