Re: Tracking disk writes? (again)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Erik Jones <erik(at)myemma(dot)com>
Cc: Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tracking disk writes? (again)
Date: 2007-03-13 01:35:19
Lists: pgsql-general

Erik Jones <erik(at)myemma(dot)com> writes:
> Well, disk reads, cache hits, transactions commited, transactions
> rolled back, index size and usage, etc. are all able to be tracked vi
> the pg catalogue tables and views. But, I haven't seen anything that
> will give me numbers on actual disk writes done by the database.

One of the reasons you don't see that is that a large fraction of the
writes are triggered in background by the "bgwriter" process, which
operates at too low a level to participate in the stats collection
mechanism. I'm not sure what would be involved in refactoring things
sufficiently to make that workable, but it'd be nontrivial.