Re: Question about behavior of deletes with REPLICA IDENTITY NOTHING

From: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, James Coleman <jtc331(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Question about behavior of deletes with REPLICA IDENTITY NOTHING
Date: 2024-02-08 04:27:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2024-02-08 at 13:40 +1100, Peter Smith wrote:
> - how to set the replica identity. If a table without a replica identity is
> + how to set the replica identity. If a table without a replica identity
> + (or with replica identity behavior the same as <literal>NOTHING</literal>) is
> added to a publication that replicates <command>UPDATE</command>
> or <command>DELETE</command> operations then

I had the impression that the root of the confusion was the perceived difference
between "REPLICA IDENTITY NOTHING" and "no replica identity", and that change
doesn't improve that.

How about:

If a table without a replica identity (explicitly set to <literal>NOTHING</literal>,
or set to a primary key or index that doesn't exist) is added ...

Yours,
Laurenz Albe