ERROR: MemoryContextAlloc

From: Jean-Christophe Boggio <cat(at)thefreecat(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: ERROR: MemoryContextAlloc
Date: 2001-10-20 15:37:21
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all,

we encounter a big problem. PG 7.1.3 for a long time, tables working
perfect for months... Linux 2.4.3 or 2.4.10

When we dump our base we get things like :

ERROR: MemoryContextAlloc: invalid request size 4294967293
PQendcopy: resetting connection SQL query to dump the contents of Table
'identite' did not execute correctly.
After we read all the table contents from the backend, PQendcopy() failed.
Explanation from backend: 'ERROR: MemoryContextAlloc: invalid request size
4294967293

Some (small) tables dump correctly, but most don't.
identite is a small one (100K records) but won't dump although

CREATE TABLE identite2 as
SELECT * FROM identite;

works

pg_dump still can't dump either identite or identite2 table

Another strange thing :

\o /tmp/somefile
SELECT * FROM identite
\o

this pops the ERROR: MemoryContextAlloc...

but SELECT field1,field2,...lastfield works

Anyone has a clue ? We can't backup our production machines and
it's getting panicking if you see what I mean...

Thanks for *ANY* help

--
Jean-Christophe Boggio
cat(at)thefreecat(dot)org -o)