Re: Bogus bind() warnings

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bogus bind() warnings
Date: 2003-11-06 20:42:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> Is it possible that that kernel considers binding to an IPv6 port to
>> conflict with binding to the "same" port number as an IPv4 port?

Actually, I think that that may be expected behavior depending on the
vintage of the kernel. Note the following comment in
StreamServerPort():

/*
* Note: This might fail on some OS's, like Linux older than
* 2.4.21-pre3, that don't have the IPV6_V6ONLY socket option, and
* map ipv4 addresses to ipv6. It will show ::ffff:ipv4 for all
* ipv4 connections.
*/