Re: Rename or Re-Create Constraints?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Carlos Mennens <carlos(dot)mennens(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Rename or Re-Create Constraints?
Date: 2011-04-09 00:35:59
Lists: pgsql-general

Carlos Mennens <carlos(dot)mennens(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> 1. Do I need to remove all the table constraints or is there a way to
> rename them?

I believe you can rename the underlying indexes and the constraints will
follow them. (This works in HEAD anyway, not sure how far back.)

> 2. When renaming the table, is there a way to rename both the table
> and all associated constraints?

No, there's nothing automatic for that. IIRC there used to be code to
try to do this when you renamed a single column; but we took it out,
probably because it risked unexpected failures due to index name
collisions.