Re: Slow Inserts on 1 table?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "John D(dot) Burger" <john(at)mitre(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Slow Inserts on 1 table?
Date: 2005-08-02 19:21:01
Lists: pgsql-general

"John D. Burger" <john(at)mitre(dot)org> writes:
>> Your running 7.2? That is all kinds of level of... huh? Why?

> I'm not running it, my organization is. Not sure how to interpret "all
> kinds of level of..." Are there any huge suckages that I can use to
> leverage an update? I'm familiar with some of the smaller ones.

Lots, what does it take to get their attention? Feature-wise, there are
such small matters as schemas. Performance-wise, there are quite a lot
of improvements since 7.2. Security-wise, there are unfixable holes
in 7.2 (try "select cash_out(2)").

I hope you're at least on 7.2.8, else you are also vulnerable to a
number of data-loss-grade bugs. I don't recall at the moment whether
there were any data-loss issues that we deemed unfixable in 7.2.*, but
it wouldn't surprise me.

Try perusing the release notes at
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/release.html
for ammunition.