AW: [HACKERS] Re: SQL statements: begin and end

From: Zeugswetter Andreas SEV <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>
To: "'Bruce Momjian'" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "'pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: AW: [HACKERS] Re: SQL statements: begin and end
Date: 1999-11-23 19:20:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > I see everybody using the following PostgreSQL statements:
> >
> > "begin" instead of "begin work"
> > "end" instead of "commit work"
> >
> > This is really bad, because it is not standard, and can
> easily be taken for
> > a statement block, which it is definitely not ! It is a
> transaction block.
>

> > I vote for issuing a NOTICE for these in V7 and remove them in V8,
> > at least the single "end"
>
> Not sure on this one. Why not let them use it?

1. It is actually already forbidden inside plpgsql, since there it is
a statement block, no ?
2. somebody stated, that is has a different meaning in embedded sql spec ?
(I did it again, have not checked :-()

I actually don't have strong feelings on this, just thought I'd bring it up,
cause it personally always misguides me.

Andreas