Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

From: ZEUGSWETTER Andreas IZ5 <Andreas(dot)Zeugswetter(at)telecom(dot)at>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6
Date: 1999-06-07 10:11:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> >By the way, may I ask more question regarding Oracle? You mentioned
> >the magic of no-fsync in Oracle is actually a bug. Ok, I understand. I
> >also heard that Oracle does some kind of redo-log bufferings. Does
> >this mean certain committed data might be lost if the system crashed
> >before the buffered data is written into the disk?

Yes, you might loose a transaction that has been reported committed to the
client.
But, it guarantees that every transaction is eighter committed, or rolled
back as a
whole. Thus leaving the database in a consistent state. We have a lot of
applications
where this is acceptable, and others where this is not. It is the ability to
choose
(in Informix buffered versus unbuffered logging) that makes us happy.

Andreas