Re: Unclear EOL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
Cc: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Unclear EOL
Date: 2018-09-05 22:25:52
Lists: pgsql-www

Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com> writes:
> On 09/05/2018 03:04 PM, David G. Johnston wrote:
>> The point is that 9.3 supposedly goes out of support in November 2018
>> but the EOL Month is September, two months earlier.  If it truly ended
>> in September the August release we just made would be the final one.
>> But now that its September the next one is final but won't happen for 2
>> months.

> Yeah, I missed that on the versioning page. The thing is that the minor
> release schedule is a suggestion that can be broken for security/severe
> bug reasons. Counting on a fixed period after the EOL month is sort of
> liking counting on stoppage time in football(soccer) to be a known value
> ahead of time. I for one would not put money on it:)

Right, it would be a mistake to modify this table on the basis of the
current schedule for minor releases. Given the policy explanation above
the table, I think it's fine as-is ... though I agree with David that
the column heading should be "EOL month" not "EOL date", because "EOL
month" is the term used in the explanation.

Personally I'd also s/full support/support/ in the second para, because
it gives the impression that we have more than one level of "support"
for back branches. We don't.