Re: BUG #17360: array_to_string should be immutable instead of stable

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: gergely(dot)czuczy(at)harmless(dot)hu
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #17360: array_to_string should be immutable instead of stable
Date: 2022-01-10 14:54:23
Lists: pgsql-bugs

PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> The array_to_string function should have a volatility of immutable,

Nope. It invokes an arbitrary datatype I/O function,
which might only be stable. As an example:

regression=# begin;
BEGIN
regression=*# select array_to_string(array[now()], ',');
array_to_string
-------------------------------
2022-01-10 09:47:06.605304-05
(1 row)

regression=*# set timezone to UTC;
SET
regression=*# select array_to_string(array[now()], ',');
array_to_string
-------------------------------
2022-01-10 14:47:06.605304+00
(1 row)

Actually, in principle somebody could make a datatype
whose output function is volatile. It's not clear
what the use-case is, though, so we've established a
project policy that code that invokes some arbitrary
I/O function may assume that function is at least stable.
Thus, array_to_string() is marked stable, and likewise
for some other polymorphic functions such as format().

Ideally, perhaps, we'd determine the volatility level of
polymorphic functions like array_to_string() based on the
actual input data types --- but it's hard to see how to do
that.