Re: Postgres 9.6 fails to start on VMWare

From: Martin Moore <martin(dot)moore(at)avbrief(dot)com>
To: George Neuner <gneuner2(at)comcast(dot)net>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres 9.6 fails to start on VMWare
Date: 2017-10-24 15:44:43
Lists: pgsql-general

On 23/10/2017, 17:17, "George Neuner" <gneuner2(at)comcast(dot)net> wrote:

>Doesn't GCloud provide a way to export drive images?
[He asks naively, never having used it.]

Nope – just the dd method (although this doesn’t work on VMWare, so you need to use a VWM utility on a Win pc to get it). I’m pretty sure Google use VMW, so it’s pretty poor!

> Move/rename the PG data directory, then use initdb to create a new
cluster. You'll have to reload your databases from backups.

Cheers. I’m going off the idea of using VMs very quickly as I can see no real advantage and plenty of grief for my use case.

Consider this question resolved (