Re: For the ametures. (related to "Are we losing momentum?")

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Kevin Brown <kevin(at)sysexperts(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: For the ametures. (related to "Are we losing momentum?")
Date: 2003-04-19 15:33:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> I read all the comments regarding Jim's patch, but would you mind stating
> exactly what your concern is, Tom? What do you mean by 'one policy'?

I don't want something that will only support a policy of "put the
indexes over there". It should be possible to assign individual tables
or indexes to particular tablespaces if the DBA wants to do that.
I have nothing against making it easy to "put the indexes over there"
--- for example, we might say that a database has a default tablespace
for each kind of object. But if the mechanism can only support a
per-object-kind determination of tablespace then it's insufficiently
flexible.

I no longer recall any details about Jim's patch, but I believe we felt
that it failed the flexibility criterion.