Re: Please help me debug regular segfaults on 8.3.10

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql <pgsql(at)lavabit(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Please help me debug regular segfaults on 8.3.10
Date: 2010-05-04 22:40:42
Lists: pgsql-general

pgsql <pgsql(at)lavabit(dot)com> writes:
> one of our pgsql instances recently started to segfault multiple times a
> week. I tried a couple of things to pin it down to a certain query
> or job but failed to find any pattern. All I can offer is some notes
> and a set of similar looking back traces.

All of those traces seem to be within plpgsql functions that are doing
some sort of schema update on a table. Sure you can't pin it down a
little better? Looking at debug_query_string in the core dumps would
at least show what SQL command is calling the function(s) --- and I
wouldn't be surprised if there's exactly one function involved here.

As per Alvaro's suggestion, installing postgresql-debuginfo would
make the stack traces a lot more useful, too.