Re: pg_dump in 7.4

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, "Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump in 7.4
Date: 2002-11-13 15:22:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> The suggestion of breaking items into create/alter etc is interesting - I
> assume you are thinking of function bodies? Or is there something else?

Let's see --- foreign-key constraints are an obvious source of possible
circularities, but I see pg_dump already dumps those as separate
objects. I recall thinking that column default and constraint clauses
might need to be broken out too, but I'm not sure why I thought that
(maybe because they can call SQL functions?). Anything else?

A simple-minded approach would be to *always* add these things via
ALTER commands at the end, but to keep dumps legible it would be
nicer to keep them in the original table definition whenever
possible.