Re: Parallel append plan instability/randomness

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jim Finnerty <jfinnert(at)amazon(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Parallel append plan instability/randomness
Date: 2018-01-08 16:42:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jim Finnerty <jfinnert(at)amazon(dot)com> writes:
> Ordering the plan output elements by estimated cost will cause spurious plan
> changes to be reported after table cardinalities change. Can we choose an
> explain output order that is stable to changes in cardinality, please?

I found the code that's doing this, in create_append_path, and it says:

* For parallel append, non-partial paths are sorted by descending total
* costs. That way, the total time to finish all non-partial paths is
* minimized. Also, the partial paths are sorted by descending startup
* costs. There may be some paths that require to do startup work by a
* single worker. In such case, it's better for workers to choose the
* expensive ones first, whereas the leader should choose the cheapest
* startup plan.

There's some merit in that argument, although I'm not sure how much.
It's certainly pointless to sort that way if the expected number of
workers is >= the number of subpaths. More generally, I wonder if
it wouldn't be better to implement this behavior at runtime rather
than plan time. Something along the line of "workers choose the
highest-cost remaining subplan, but leader chooses the lowest-cost one".