Getting top 2 by Category

From: "Ozer, Pam" <pozer(at)automotive(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Getting top 2 by Category
Date: 2011-01-11 19:00:26
Lists: pgsql-sql

This is probably very simple but I am drawing a blank. Do I need to
create a cursor to iterate through a table to grab the top 2 magazines
per category? Here is my table and some data . The results I need are
at the bottom. Any help would be greatly appreciated:

CREATE TABLE magazinecategory

(

magazinecategoryid smallint NOT NULL ,

magazineid smallint,

categoryid smallint

);

INSERT INTO magazinecategory(

magazinecategoryid, magazineid, categoryid)

VALUES (1, 2, 3);

INSERT INTO magazinecategory(

magazinecategoryid, magazineid, categoryid)

VALUES (2, 8, 3);

INSERT INTO magazinecategory(

magazinecategoryid, magazineid, categoryid)

VALUES (3 9, 3);

INSERT INTO magazinecategory(

magazinecategoryid, magazineid, categoryid)

VALUES (4, 10, 4);

INSERT INTO magazinecategory(

magazinecategoryid, magazineid, categoryid)

VALUES (5, 11, 4);

INSERT INTO magazinecategory(

magazinecategoryid, magazineid, categoryid)

VALUES (6, 12,4);

The results I want are

CategoryID MagazineID

3 2