Re: timeout implementation issues

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>, Jessica Perry Hekman <jphekman(at)dynamicdiagrams(dot)com>, Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>, Barry Lind <barry(at)xythos(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: timeout implementation issues
Date: 2002-04-08 17:03:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> But that is not a shortcoming of the SET command. The problem is that the
>> system does not accept any commands after one command has failed in a
>> transaction even though it could usefully do so.

In a situation where the reason for failure was a syntax error, it seems
to me quite dangerous to try to execute any further commands; you may
not be executing what the user thought he typed. So I'm leery of any
proposals that we allow SETs to execute in transaction-abort state,
even if the implementation could support it.

> Uh, yes, we could allow the second SET to succeed even in an aborted
> transaction, but Tom says his schema stuff will not work in an aborted
> state, so Tom/I figured the only other option was rollback of the first
> SET.

The search_path case is the main reason why I'm intent on changing
the behavior of SET; without that, I'd just leave well enough alone.
Possibly some will suggest that search_path shouldn't be a SET variable
because it needs to be able to be rolled back on error. But what else
should it be? It's definitely per-session status, not persistent
database state. I don't much care for the notion of having SET act
differently for some variables than others, or requiring people to use
a different command for some variables than others.