Re: Pgadmin access to Postgresql

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Luciano Martin Galletti <galletti77(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Pgadmin access to Postgresql
Date: 2016-07-09 16:54:35
Lists: pgsql-general

Luciano Martin Galletti <galletti77(at)hotmail(dot)com> writes:
> The server doesn't accept connections: the connection library reports
> could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061) Is the server running on host "IP_OF_THE_SERVER" and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

> Do i have to set something in pg_hba.conf

Probably, because what you showed doesn't include any line permitting
external connections; but that's not your problem yet. "Connection
refused" is a network-level error: your connection is never getting to the
Postgres server. Double-check addresses, check network connectivity,
check firewall settings. My first bet is you need to poke a hole in the
server machine's firewall --- see iptables or local equivalent. Another
possibility is that the server's listen_addresses setting only tells it
to listen for local TCP connections not remote ones. You typically want
listen_addresses set to "*" if you intend to allow remote connections.

When you start getting complaints phrased along the lines of "no
pg_hba.conf entry" then it'll be time to fix pg_hba.conf.