Re: pg_class and relfilenode

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "muteki muteki" <muteki_f(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_class and relfilenode
Date: 2004-02-11 16:26:24
Lists: pgsql-general

"muteki muteki" <muteki_f(at)hotmail(dot)com> writes:
> Since we have our systems being deployed to numerous
> remote systems (psql 7.2.3), upgrading the entire database
> (with data migration) will be the least preferable
> solution.

At the very least you should be running 7.2.4. We do not make
dot-releases for entertainment value, we make them because there
are critical bug fixes. In particular, this 7.2.4 fix:
* Ensure pg_clog updates are sync'd to disk before marking checkpoint complete
might well have something to do with your problems.

> I found that there are already some files
> (mainly pg_*) tables/indexes are not being consistent
> with the filesystem.

> e.g.
> pg_shadow_usename_index
> pg_stat_activity
> pg_stat_database

Views don't have underlying files at all. Shared tables live in a
different directory. You had better study the system catalogs more
carefully before you start writing scripts to hack them.