Re: Performance tips

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: andrew_perrin(at)unc(dot)edu
Cc: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance tips
Date: 2002-01-10 18:22:07
Lists: pgsql-general

Andrew Perrin <andrew_perrin(at)unc(dot)edu> writes:
> shared_buffers is set to 128 in postgresql.conf - is that what you
> mean?

That's awfully small. On any modern machine you should be setting it in
the low thousands. (Yeah, I know the default is only 64. We've had
discussions about changing that ...) Note you must restart the
postmaster to get this change to take effect.

> HOWEVER... what I'm hearing from most folks is that, even under these
> conditions, the performance I'm experiencing is worse than
> expected. If that's true, what should I do to diagnose that?

Have you shown us the specific query and the EXPLAIN output for it?