RE: MS Access out-performs PostgreSQL 7?

From: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: 'Ragnar Kjørstad' <postgres(at)ragnark(dot)vestdata(dot)no>, Joseph Sircy <webmaster(at)dnhawaii(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql list <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: MS Access out-performs PostgreSQL 7?
Date: 2000-07-21 07:23:22
Lists: pgsql-admin

> > Maybe I need to try a different ODBC driver, or if anyone
> knows of a better
> > way to connect in asp scripts to psql, please let me know.
>
> I know you said you needed to use MS-IIS, but do you also need to use
> asp?
>
> php has a feature called persistent database connections - it basicly
> keeps the databaseconnections open all the time, and don't have to
> reopen it for every webpage. It can improve performance a lot if you
> have a lot of pages doing just a little bit of SQL.

ODBC supports native connection pooling, which is used by IIS. It just has
to be enabled :-)
Go into the ODBC Datasource Administrator, under the tab "Connection
Pooling", and double-click on PostgreSQL. Set it to enabled, and set a good
timeout value. (Default will work most of the time)

This is a *must* for good performance with any db, but with postgresql it's
even more so (it's more expensive to open a connection in postgres than it
is in for example MS SQL. Connection pooling makes that difference almost
completely go away).

> (and you can run php under MS-IIS - there is even a tool to
> convert asp to php).
This is always an option anyway, but not required for this case :-)

//Magnus