Re: More tests to stress directly checksum_impl.h

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
Subject: Re: More tests to stress directly checksum_impl.h
Date: 2020-03-07 18:22:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> writes:
> On Fri, Mar 06, 2020 at 03:04:27PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Between that and the BLCKSZ dependency, it's not clear that we can
>> test this with just a plain old expected-file test case. Might
>> need to fall back to a TAP test.

> Perhaps the dependency of page.sql on 8kB pages could be improved,
> still I am not sure either that testing checksums is worth the
> complexity of a new TAP test dependent on pageinspect (5a9323e has
> removed such a dependency recently for example).

Yeah, a TAP test is a mighty expensive solution.

>> Another way would be variant output files, which could be a sane
>> solution if we put this in its own test script.

I think this way could work; see attached.

I'm not sure if it's actually worth providing the variants for non-8K
block sizes. While running the tests to construct those, I was reminded
that not only do several of the other pageinspect tests "fail" at
nondefault block sizes, but so do the core regression tests and some
other tests as well. We are a long way from having check-world pass
with nondefault block sizes, so maybe this test doesn't need to either.
However, there's something to be said for memorializing the behavior
we expect.

> (It is kind of hard to find a qemu image with big endian lately?)

The boneyard over on my other desk has actual hardware ;-)

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
checksum-tests-v2.patch text/x-diff 14.0 KB