Re: Postgres Replaying WAL slowly

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)pgexperts(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Matheus de Oliveira <matioli(dot)matheus(at)gmail(dot)com>, Soni M <diptatapa(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, pgsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres Replaying WAL slowly
Date: 2014-06-30 20:39:44
Lists: pgsql-performance

Jeff Frost <jeff(at)pgexperts(dot)com> writes:
> On Jun 30, 2014, at 1:15 PM, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> So these are probably relations created in uncommitted
>> transactions. Possibly ON COMMIT DROP temp tables?

> That would make sense. There are definitely quite a few of those being used.

Uh-huh. I doubt that the mechanism that handles propagation of
AccessExclusiveLocks to the standby is smart enough to ignore locks
on temp tables :-(

> Another item of note is the system catalogs are quite bloated:
> Would that cause the replica to spin on StandbyReleaseLocks?

AFAIK, no. It's an unsurprising consequence of heavy use of short-lived
temp tables though.

So it seems like we have a candidate explanation. I'm a bit surprised
that StandbyReleaseLocks would get this slow if there are only a dozen
AccessExclusiveLocks in place at any one time, though. Perhaps that
was a low point and there are often many more?